[Question #256107]: Is it possible to stop an observer without an event occuring?

I'm looking to stop an observer if the event hasn't occurred by the end of the script.   Depending on which project we are automation I'm looking to create several different observers to monitor the execution for certain pop-up conditions (such as the word ERROR in a status bar) that may or may not need to halt execution, and save a screen shot.

In reading the docs and questions posted here it looks like the event returned from an onAppear() observer is used to stop the observer, however there is a chance the event will not occur before the script completes.  Currently the observers are staying open beyond execution time.  I can include a stripped-down code snippet if necessary.