sloecode-dev team mailing list archive

Re: new contributions

Hi,

On 18 March 2011 09:36, Tim Penhey <tim@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Personally I'd be hesitant looking to add a ticket (or bug or feature) system
> into sloecode.

It is however on the cards - check out the blueprints for the sloecode project:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/sloecode

After our last meeting we agreed that in the future having a
bug-tracker integrated into sloecode might be nice, but a more
important feature is project wikis.

Our general plan is as follows:

1. Get sloecode server packaged and a 1.0 release made. In order for
this to happen we need to clean up a few UI bugs (which we're planning
on doing this Friday), find someone kind enough to wrestle the code
into a debian package, and tag the 1.0 release.

2. We want additional features above and beyond basic project hosting
to be optional extra packages. One of our main goals is to keep
sloecode easy to install and setup. This means a lot of things,
including minimising external dependancies when installing the server.
However, we still want to deliver all those nice things like wikis,
issue tracking etc. for users who want them. The idea therefore is to
make these extras modular plugins that can be enabled or disabled at
will. I imagine we'll end up with serveral server packages:

 * sloecode-server-core (contains current sloecode code - basically
project hosting and nothing more).
 * sloecode-server-wiki (adds project wikis to the mix).
 * sloecode-server-bugtracker (guess what that does...)
 * sloecode-server-whatever...

Before we do anything we need to devise and implement the plugin
architecture for the server-side.

3. Add Wiki support. We're keen to use Tim's wikkid wiki project
(http://launchpad.net/wikkid). Long story short: wikkid is a wiki that
uses a bazaar branch as a back-end, allows several markup languages,
including reST, markdown... and I forget the rest. It's a wonderful
wiki, and won't be too difficult to integrate (especially since we're
already in the business of hosting bazaar branches).

4. Determine additional functionality as required. The launchpad.net
blueprints page has several ideas that I've jotted down. I encourage
anyone to comment on them - we're keen to get as much feedback as
possible.

Hopefully that clears things up. We all hang out on #sloecode, so feel
free to poke us (we're all in +1300 at the moment, so apologies if
we're all asleep when you're around).

Cheers,