software-store-developers team mailing list archive

USC 5.0: Chrome and navigation design

Michael Vogt wrote on 23/06/11 09:28:

> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 12:18:17AM +1200, Matthew McGowan wrote:
>> After a few weeks of banging away at USC I finally have the app up
>> and running using Gtk3 and pygi.
>
> Thats awsome news!

Agreed, nice work Matthew.

>> It looks terrible at the moment as i have basically removed all of
>> the expose-event handlers and number of custom widgets.  I think
>> there is no point in spending a lot of timE working on the visual
>> components of USC until the redesign is finalised.
>
> I much agree with this. Once the redesign is finished we can build the
> new UI on top of the new gtk3 foundations.

I'm going as fast as I can. :-) I've just posted a draft spec of the
chrome and navigation, which I guess was the biggest blocker for you.
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter#v5.0> We're still testing the
wireframes, but I doubt it will change much from here.

The major changes compared to 4.0 are:

*   The Back and Forward commands should now work across sections, not
    just within "Get Software".

*   The navigation pane is gone, replaced by a navigation bar along the
    top.

*   What were top-level items in the navigation pane should now be
    buttons in the navigation bar.

*   What were child items in the navigation pane should now be
    menubutton menu items in the navigation bar.

*   The pathbutton should move to the main pane (i.e. part of the
    scrollable area), and probably will look much lighter.

I think the next thing I should specify is an "item tile", a box
containing icon+name+rating+category for an application or other item.
Those tiles tiles will be used on several different screens, including
the home screen (similar to the current "Featured" and "What's New"
occupants), category and subcategory screens, and search results, mostly
replacing treeview-style lists.

After that I plan to write up the home screen, category screens, and any
item screen tweaks, in that order. But if you're blocked by something
else ahead of those, please let me know.

> For now I would like to keep the gtk2 UI but basicly move it into
> maintenance mode without new UI elements (the last outstanding branch
> that touches the UI is the modify-review one iirc that needs to get
> merged in soon).

Is it okay if I now start revising or removing 3.2/4.0 stuff in the
specification, and merging in the 5.0 changes? If I can do that, the
spec will get a fair bit shorter and more approachable. The drawback (if
it is one) is that when triaging bugs etc, you'll no longer be able to
refer to how 4.0 was supposed to behave.

Thanks
- --
mpt