software-store-developers team mailing list archive

Re: gtk3 as default?!

Hi all,

I think we are close enough that if we were to push hard between now
and October we would have it in a nice space, as long as we focus on
bug fixing relating to gtk3 primarily.
At this point there are a fair few bugs coming through but none of
them seem to be huge (in my opinion - haven't tested alot of the gtk3
stuff myself) and as Matt points out, the fixes are happening pretty
fast.

My only concern would be how much testing is happening. Is it enough
for us to be comfortable that there aren't any big sleeper bugs hiding
in there?
It would be good to expose the gtk3 version to some pretty intense
testing to find out now rather than later.
Not sure what our options are for this, perhaps makes gtk3 the default
version for Oneiric so everyone who is using alpha versions becomes a
tester. Alternatively, see if we can get some blog posts (OMGUbuntu?)
telling the community "if you want gtk3 USC in Oneiric, start using it
now in your alpha installs and raise all the bugs you find asap"

I'd be excited to work towards having it in for O if we can get it there.

cheers
Aaron