software-store-developers team mailing list archive

Congratulations, and next steps

Hi everyone

I'm amazed at how much Ubuntu Software Center has improved over the past
few months. A simpler layout, a beautiful new visual style (taking GTK3
to places it's never been before), banner exhibits, "Top Rated"
listings, better sorting of software and of reviews, OneConf built in,
and -- still coming soon, I hope -- Unity launcher integration.

To everyone who has contributed, both on the client and the server:
thank you.

So, what next?

I have a proposal. Let's make this version of Ubuntu Software Center not
just the prettiest ever, but also the most reliable ever.

There are, at the moment, quite a few things that we know just don't
work. For example:
*   using USC behind a proxy
    <http://launchpad.net/bugs/545134>
*   installing something from Multiverse on a fresh install
    <http://launchpad.net/bugs/829284>
*   buying something, then upgrading to the next version of Ubuntu
    <http://launchpad.net/bugs/833982>
*   displaying all available add-ons
    <http://launchpad.net/bugs/833650>
*   the "Copy Web Link" command
    <http://launchpad.net/bugs/830291>
*   the filter items in the "View" menu
    <http://launchpad.net/bugs/835025>
*   most of the keyboard shortcuts.
    <http://launchpad.net/bugs/828233>
    <http://launchpad.net/bugs/830238>
    <http://launchpad.net/bugs/834988>

There are a couple of things that do work, but look like they don't:
*   installing a downloaded .deb
    <http://launchpad.net/bugs/635029>
*   adding or removing a PPA.
    <http://launchpad.net/bugs/583643>
    <http://launchpad.net/bugs/574155>

And there are plenty of accessibility problems:
<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-center/+bugs?field.tag=a11y>

Here's the graph of software-center bug statuses over time.
<http://status.qa.ubuntu.com/qapkgstatus/software-center> As penance for
reporting so many new bugs the past few weeks, I'll take on the task of
trying to drive "New" to zero over the next three weeks. (26 a day,
shouldn't be too hard.) That leaves the simple matter of fixing the
bugs. ;-)

Final Freeze is September 29th.

Cheers
- --