Re: HDD Load Cycles problem

Albert Vilella wrote:
> I don't know if it helps but my 3+ years old Sony Vaio SZ (not Z) has a
> large count:
>
> avilella@magneto:~$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Load_Cycle_Count
> 193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   086   086   000    Old_age
> Always       -       296594

With further reading now I have the doubt that my "count is quite
normal". Some says that a count of about 600000 is fine for the total
life of a (laptop) HDD. In 4 years this means about 400 load-cycles/day.

It would be useful if you all report the result of the following command
(which includes the hours of life):
$sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | egrep 'Load_Cycle_Count|Loaded_Hour'
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
      -       967
222 Loaded_Hours            0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
      -       85

In my case I have an average ratio 11 cycles/hour. What about the your? :)

> and it hasn't given me much problems. You are right in pointing the
> PowerManagement issues though: this is something that should be taken
> care of and it's good that all affected users report it.

It is true!

thanks,
Mario