WWAN on Vaio VGN-Z41WD

Dear all,

I have recently bought a Sony Vaio VGN-Z41WD laptop, and the information found in this group was of invaluable help in gettngs most things to work. I have been able to fully configure and activate the Intel 4500 on-board Graphics as well as the Nvidia 9300GS card on a CentOS 5.3 distribution. I only had to rebuild Xorg 7.4 from source since with the outdated version shipped with CentOS 5.3 I could not turn on hardware acceleration on Intel graphics (it is a problem common to all newer Intel graphic cards). Only one issue is left: the WWAN card. The only way to use it is activate it under Windows Vista, then reboot (without the "acpi_osi=!Windows 2006" kernel option or Windows settings will be erased, which means that it is impossible to activate the Nvidia card if one wants to use the WWAN module). I read some posts explaining how to make it work using the gobi firmware loader (http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/gobi_loader/), but I was not successful. The main problem is that, unless one boots in Windows Vista first, the WWAN module is not even listed among USB modules by lsusb. Can someone give any help on this point?

Best regards,
Paolo Tosco

Follow ups