Re: A solution to enable VT on vaio z.

On Mo, 10 Aug 2009, Raphael Gradenwitz wrote:
> Q: is VT not already enabled on sony z-series under Linux completely
> independent from bios?

No. Impossible.

> Simple test on cpu flag 'vmx' like:
>
>  # begin test
> echo; echo -n "  Full-Virtualization is ";\
> grep '^flags.*vmx' /proc/cpuinfo || echo -n "not ";\
> echo "suported by your CPU"; echo
>  # end test

And what did it echo out? Did you do that in your shell?

> and a working kvm (out of the box) makes me suspect that it does..

Does kvm show in the head "kvm", or is it running in qemu mode?

> The report this link [2] is pointing to is speaking about bios. But one
> can eg. completely bypass any bios update by simply installing the
> newest Linux Processor Microcode Data File from Intel [1]:
>
> sudo apt-get install intel-microcode microcode.ctl

I am not sure about that.

> But even without the newest microcode installed I have got full
> virtualisation support on my VGN-Z21MN (ubuntu-jaunty and -karmic).
> Without any changes to the bios.

How did you check? What did the above code snippet say? How did you
check that you have "full virtualisation"?

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@xxxxxxxx>        Vienna University of Technology
Debian Developer <preining@xxxxxxxxxx>                         Debian TeX Group