Re: A solution to enable VT on vaio z.

Am Mittwoch, den 29.07.2009, 17:20 -0400 schrieb Roberto Lublinerman:
> It might be of interest of this community to know that a guy found a way
> to enable VT on Vaio Z machines. You can read the story and download the
> software you need to enable vt here (http://feature-enable.blogspot.com/)
>
> I have now enabled VT on my Z (Z590) and on my brother's (z790) with
> success; happy to see all those virtual horses unleashed.

Q: is VT not already enabled on sony z-series under Linux completely
independent from bios?

Simple test on cpu flag 'vmx' like:

 # begin test
echo; echo -n "  Full-Virtualization is ";\
grep '^flags.*vmx' /proc/cpuinfo || echo -n "not ";\
echo "suported by your CPU"; echo
 # end test

and a working kvm (out of the box) makes me suspect that it does..

The report this link [2] is pointing to is speaking about bios. But one
can eg. completely bypass any bios update by simply installing the
newest Linux Processor Microcode Data File from Intel [1]:

sudo apt-get install intel-microcode microcode.ctl

But even without the newest microcode installed I have got full
virtualisation support on my VGN-Z21MN (ubuntu-jaunty and -karmic).
Without any changes to the bios.

Or did I just misunderstood everything?

Raphael

[1] http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=483&DwnldID=14303