Re: decreasing power consumption of Nvidia-card

Hi Carlchristian,

thank you for feedback,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.01.2010, 00:38 +0100 schrieb Carlchristian Eckert:
> While trying to maximize the battery life of my VGN-Z21VN (running
> Karmic with Raphael's janitor-script), I stumbled upon the "PowerMizer"
> section of the nvidia-settings tool. (NVidia driver is version 185.XX).
> I noticed, that the performance level always remained at "Maximum
> Performance", which surely often uses a lot more power than actually
> needed.

Strange. Here is set to dynamic per default.

>  After a quick search I found out, that adding the line
>
> Option        "RegistryDwords"    "PerfLevelSrc=0x3333"
>
> to the xorg.conf (seen and explained at [1]) and restarting X, sets the
> NVidia-card to a dynamic mode.

LOL. Windows users often try to copy their Windows World into Linux :-D

> So if anyone of you sometimes uses its VAIO on SPEED-Mode while running
> on battery, this might be worth a try to decrease power consumtion of
> the GPU (worked for me!).
>
> @ Raphael: I didn't test one of the newer NVidia drivers yet, but it
> might be worth a thought to add something into the janitor-script to set
> the performance of the NVidia-card to dynamic mode.

That is already a feature since the beginning
You did not read my website.

No need to import those settings like windows registry keys!
(you can, nothing wrong with that, but..)

What the Registry does in Windows, in Linux is done with so caled
'rc-files'

Start nvdia-setting as root, make the settings to the powermizer and
save your settings in the nvidia-settings tool to the rc-file

/root/.nvidia-settings-rc

and enter (uncomment) the path of that rc file in

/etc/default/switch-x-to

My switch script together with the init/startup jobs installed by the
Janitor script will load the setting you saved there (e.g. Powermizer
status) on next startup.

Maybe you should install a newer driver, at least try it. Meanwhile it
became extremely easy with the Janitor script to change between the
drivers wanted.
If you don't like it, simply switch back to the Driver of the
distribution.

Regards,

Raphael Gradenwitz

http://global-social.net/sony-VGN-Zseries