Re: sony_laptop

Hello there,

I'll do my best to handle this one so the senior members don't have to
address this again.

I assume you have a new vaio z, in which case you might want to search
the mailing list for information on those who have the newer BIOS and
using the NVidia card.  Last I heard, it still doesn't work properly
with the newer BIOS.  As such, please do not install the NVidia
drivers.  Well, the nouveau drivers might work, but I'll get to that
later.

I believe the vaio module that exists on your machine is the one that
ships with ubuntu, which I believe is part of the kernel or something
like that.  That doesn't really matter.  The point is, it doesn't work
right.  Use the new vaio module instead.  I believe you will need the
new one edited by Norbert Preining.  It can be found at this site.
http://global-social.net/tiki-view_blog.php?blogId=3

That site actually has more useful information on it than the
launchpad site, imo.  Speaking of which, let me take a brief
intermission here to address whoever it is who maintains the page.
Can you please edit it to contain the most useful, relevant
information, or at least a link to the cite mentioned above? I believe
that would drastically decrease questions like these.  As to Stefan
Larsen, I am not saying that your question is stupid, just that
similar questions have been asked before and it would be nice to have
the information easily accessible.

Anyway, back to the point.  Also, I apologize for the length of this
email.  Now, the janitor script will take care of a lot of things for
you, but I would stop before it gets to the part with installing the
NVidia drivers, because, as I said before, I do not believe the
drivers work with the newer BIOS.  The janitor script can also be
found at the above link.  The nouveau drivers, I believe, work with
the new BIOS, but they only have 2D support right now, as far as I
know.  Also, I do not know if the janitor script will allow the
installation of those drivers.  In addition, I think you need to use
Ubuntu Lucid to use those drivers.

I hope this has been helpful for you, and I hope it was not too long.

Sincerely,
Jason