Installing Kubuntu on VPC-Z1190X Laptop

I just got in a Sony Z series laptop and am trying to install Kubuntu on
it.

Relevant specs:
i7 processor
dual graphics card (Intel/1 GB NVidia)
4x 128 GB SSD

The first problem i had was that the system had a RAID0 made out of the
4 disks. I broke that down (2 days of effort before I finally figured
out a solution for THAT one, seeing as how Sony sends no OS install
discs, only Recovery discs to be used with the drives in RAID), and have
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed and working fine on drive 1. Drives 3-4
are NTFS formatted to use as storage. Drive 2 is currently unformatted.

I want to dual-boot Kubuntu and install it on drive 2. (and likely use
it as my main operating system).

I downloaded and burned the Live CD (Intrepid Impala, 10.04), and it
loads the menu where it asks me to use it as a live OS or install
Kubuntu, and whenever I try and install Kubuntu (or use it Live, for
that matter), the screen goes nuts, showing some weird psychedelic color
pallette and making it basically impossible to see what I am doing.

I have spent the last day googling, and have found various solutions
concerning graphics switching, black screens, touchpad issues, wifi
issues, and other annoyances. However, no one seems to have been flat
out unable to install Ubuntu (Kubuntu in my case). The closest I got to
my problem was a 'black screen' issue.

If anyone has a similar laptop, or has faced a similar problem (wacky
colors when trying to install), please could you help me out! I love the
specs on this laptop (no one else is making 13 inch laptops that are
nearly this powerful), but will likely return it if I cannot install
Ubuntu at all. I wasn't sure If I should ask for help in the ubuntu
forums or the Kubuntu forums, so I posted on both The only other time I
installed Ubuntu (old Dell laptop, Ubuntu, Feisty Fawn), it went off
without a hitch, so I'm really hoping this an easy problem that's simply
showing up due to my inexperience.

Thanks,
Zithras
--
This message was sent from Launchpad by the user
Zithras (https://launchpad.net/~zithras)