Re: 10.04 almost perfect on live image but doesn't install - VPCZ11D7E

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Peter Fern <sonylinux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 25/05/10 18:54, Benoit wrote:
>> yes cause grub2 doesnt handle RAID i think
>
> It doesn't handle dmraid, but it sounds like it's booting okay, only
> with different options for init'ing the video maybe?

The GRUB 2 problem happens with non-RAIDed models as well.

> @OP - can you check /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?  Should provide some insight.

It doesn't get as far as starting X -- it's the Intel driver kernel
mode setting that blows up.  You can't escape KMS and still use the
Intel drivers (not in kernels new enough to support the Arrandale
chipset anyway), but you might be able to boot with nomodeset and then
use the nVidia.

That is if this is the same problem as discussed earlier, at least.  I
think everyone involved in earlier discussions probably just switched
to GRUB 1 and then forgot about it.  I know I did.

Chris