working intel with vanilla kernel and grub1 and grub2

Hi,

Good Question! ... I guess for me a vanilla Kernel was so implicit that
I forgot to mention it ;)

So I use this mail to recap the necessary steps / ingrediants for a
flawlessly working grub1 or grub2 intel setup without any patches.

I am using a vanilla kernel from kernel.org (+ the optional tuxonice patch).
And: No I don't use Adams files.

Kernel Versions: First 2.6.35.4, now 2.6.35.5 (both work)

For grub1:
Nothing special

For grub2:
Then with a ready setup grub2 installation just try editing your boot
entry and replace
	initrd with initrd16
	and
	linux with linux16
and hit ctrl+x to boot like this.

If this is not enough then you need to make sure that grub does NOT
initialize any GRAPHICS --> put "set gfxpayload=text" in your grub.cfg.

But as the grub.cfg often is quiet LONG with an auto-generated grub.cfg
you might need to remove all stuff that tempers with your GRAPHIC-CARD
--> To be sure: Try my below grub.cfg (and adapt it for your partitions).

set gfxpayload=text
set timeout=7 #

menuentry "Linux working :)" {
 # remember: hd's start counting at 0, but parts at 1
 set root=(hd0,5)
 linux16 /vmlinuz 'quiet' 'i8042.reset' ...
}

Hope this helps,

Knuth

---