Adam's kernel 2.6.36-vaioz, intel and nvidia card

Dear all,

I totally agree to the Jan point of view (see previous post Re: [Sony-
vaio-z-series] Sony Vaio Z and VirtualBox)
I also found as a reader of the mailist precious and valuable
information to get my own vaio VPC-Z12L9 working with the distribution
Ubuntu 10.04.

And since I found a way to work Intel card and nvidia card with glx
together and as I never found it before in the net (but may be I did not
search well...), I take the time to explain how. It may be help somebody
else.

First thanks you for Adam and all of you !
The Adam's kernel 2.6.36.0 is working for my laptop.

I have kept  this option linux16 and initrd16 (instead of linux and
initrd) in the file /etc/grub.d/10_linux and
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i8042.reset i8042.nomux i8042.nopnp
i8042.noloop acpi_osi=\"!Windows 2006\" acpi_backlight=vendor" in the
grub option (/etc/default/grub and update-grub)
I do not know if it is needed, but I had sometimes no keyboard working
after the boot without these modifications, even with the new kernel
2.6.36-vaioz (it is strange since I read this problem was fixed ?)
Now,it seems to work correctly everytime (but I have not so much
retrospect to be sure of that, since I made the modification since a
very few time,...)

As soon as I install the Adam's kernel 2.6.36.0, the Intel card is now
working.
But, when I install the nvidia driver, problems are rising... and the
intel card could not find glx any more...
After some tests, I even can not install the current nvidia driver :
dpkg: error processing nvidia-current (--configure): subprocess
installed post-installation script returned error exit status 10

It seems there are two problems:

1. the problem is that the nvidia driver modify (I don't know where the
paths of the ModulePath implicitely)

extract of \var\log\Xorg.0.log:
"(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/extra-
modules,/usr/lib/xorg/modules" "
As a consequence, the intel driver try to use glx library of nvidia in
the stamina mode.

2. it seems that only the more recent nvidia driver is working with the
kernel 2.6.36. In fact, this is the only one I was able to install after
installing the Adam's kernel (see http://forum.ubuntu-
fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=425047).

My solution to get both working is as follows:

- install the Adam's 2.6.36-vaioz kernel (and perharps the linux-source
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/amd64/linux-source-2.6.36/2.6.36-1.7
: I try it to see if it solved the problem of installing the current
driver nvidia available directly in Ubuntu 10.04, so I don't known if it
is really required to install the nvidia 256.53 driver ...)
- Remove the package nvidia-current, nvidia-setting
- Reinstall the package xserver-xorg-video-intel (I do not know if it is
really needed)
- Install the nvidia 256.53 driver:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/737114/vpcs11e7e/nvidia-
current_256.53-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb
(see http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=425047)
NB: problem of dependency occurs when I try to install nvidia-setting
256.53 , but I install the current one of the distribution Ubuntu 10.04,
and it seems ok.

- Then, get the following command:

sudo mv /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg_speed
sudo mkdir /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg_stamina
sudo rm -rf xorg

Then I modify the rc.local file provided by Adam:

BLUETOOTH=0
WWAN=0

[ "$(uname -r)" = "2.6.28.10-vaioz" ] && reboot

[ -x /etc/init.d/kdm ] && DM="service kdm start" || DM="service gdm
start"

if [ "$(uname -r)" = "2.6.35-rc6-vaioz" -o "$(uname -r)" =
"2.6.35-vaioz" -o "$(uname -r)" = "2.6.36-rc3-vaioz" -o "$(uname -r)" =
"2.6.36-0-vaioz" ]
then
    if [ "$(cat /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/speed_stamina)" =
"stamina" ]
    then
            rm -rf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg
             ln -sf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg_stamina /usr/lib
/nvidia-current/xorg
        if [ -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf ]
        then
            if grep "\<nvidia\>" /etc/X11/xorg.conf 2>/dev/null
>/dev/null
            then
                 [ ! -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia ] && mv
/etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia || rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
            fi
            eval $DM restart
        fi
        sleep 3
        echo 52 >/proc/acpi/video/GFX0/LCD/brightness
    else # speed
             rm -rf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg
            ln -sf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg_speed /usr/lib/nvidia-
current/xorg
        [ ! -f "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" -a -f "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia" ]
&& cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf && eval $DM restart
    fi
fi

for i in /sys/class/rfkill/*
do
    grep bluetooth $i/name 2>/dev/null >/dev/null && echo $BLUETOOTH
>$i/state
    grep wwan $i/name 2>/dev/null >/dev/null && echo $WWAN >$i/state
done

So I add the following lines :
for stamina mode
            rm -rf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg
            ln -sf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg_stamina /usr/lib/nvidia-
current/xorg
for speed mode
            rm -rf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg
            ln -sf /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg_speed /usr/lib/nvidia-
current/xorg

As a consequence:
- when booting in stamina mode, /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg remains
empty and the system use  the Intel glx library located in
/usr/lib/xorg/modules (since ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/extra-
modules,/usr/lib/xorg/modules")
- when booting in speed mode, /usr/lib/nvidia-current/xorg is the right
one for nvidia

Finally, stamina mode and speed mode (unfortunately always by booting
first with the old kernel...) are working.
One problem is remaining: when I boot from the intel to the nvidia card,
I need to restart the X server (Alt+Imp Sys+k) to have the right
resolution.

Here is my own contribution... The solution is not very clean... but it
seems to work. Perhaps someone has a clever solution: if so, let me know
!

Warning and question: "Suspend" gives me a black screen when I
reactivate it, whatever the mode (stamina or speed). Is it normal ?
Another question: how to make the keyboard backlight working ?

Alban
--
This message was sent from Launchpad by
Alban (https://launchpad.net/~alban-leroyer)