Re: New Ubuntu Kernel 2.6.37-2

> First, sound does not work anymore. I get this log (/var/log/syslog) :

> pulseaudio[2784]: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-card"
> (argument: "device_id="0" name="pci-0000_00_1b.0"
> card_name="alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0" tsched=yes ignore_dB=no >
card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1""): initialization failed.

	I don't know enough about the sound card modules to be able to suggest
anything very useful, sorry :(. All that I CAN tell you is that no alsa
modules are loaded on my machine and sound works perfectly, though I'm running
Kubuntu 10.04 which doesn't use Pulseaudio by default... very early on I
enabled the use of pulse. So maybe this is something to do with the Pulseaudio
config and maybe deprecated ( for Ubuntu ) kernel modules rather than real
hardware issues. Maybe if you could find the sound related modules that aren't
loaded in 2.6.37 that were in 2.6.36 and I can see if they have just been
removed from the default build?

> A second problem I got with all your modified kernels is that the content
> of /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/speed_stamina  is always speed, even
> if booting with 2.6.28 successfully lights the correct switch position and
> the correct graphics card show up with "lspic | grep VGA".
>
> Surprisingly, if I run "echo stamina
>
>  >/sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/speed_stamina" (or echo speed) it
>
> correctly changes the switch led.

	Now this is REALLY odd. The module stores the state in a static variable
and simply returns stamina or speed based on that value, so at the very least
if writing to the speed_stamina file changes the LED, it should read back
correctly. Nothing has changed from Norbert's original in that respect.

> I had to change your /usr/local/sbin/vaioz_gfx_config file to replace
> [ "$(cat /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/speed_stamina)" = "stamina" ]
> && from_nvidia || to_nvidia
> lspci | grep "00:02.0" && from_nvidia || to_nvidia
>
> Beside this change, should I worry about this speed_stamina problem?

	Well, the change is logical enough. However, as soon as one of the NVidia
modules learns how to play nicely with the Intel one, this won't work because
both VGA adaptors will always appear on the bus.

> Third, I am unable to get accelerated 3D with intel card. The
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log says:
> [   354.286] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
> [   354.287] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module glx
> [   354.287] (II) UnloadModule: "glx"
> [   354.287] (EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
>
> So where do I get this /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so that
> seems to be missing? I can't figure out which package is required.

	I'm not 100% sure, but I think that this will just be
/usr/lib/mesa/libGL.so from the libgl1-mesa-glx package. If you're using my
upstart script it may just be that you need to run ldconfig ( thanks Rutger! )
after changing over from one card to the other. I've now modded my upstart
script to do this. Otherwise, something like:

apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx

	may fix it.

Adam.