Re: New Ubuntu Kernel 2.6.37-2

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010, Adam Hill wrote:
First, sound does not work anymore. I get this log (/var/log/syslog) :

pulseaudio[2784]: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-card"
(argument: "device_id="0" name="pci-0000_00_1b.0"
card_name="alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0" tsched=yes ignore_dB=no >
card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1""): initialization failed.

	I don't know enough about the sound card modules to be able to suggest
anything very useful, sorry :(. All that I CAN tell you is that no alsa
modules are loaded on my machine and sound works perfectly, though I'm running
Kubuntu 10.04 which doesn't use Pulseaudio by default... very early on I
enabled the use of pulse. So maybe this is something to do with the Pulseaudio
config and maybe deprecated ( for Ubuntu ) kernel modules rather than real
hardware issues. Maybe if you could find the sound related modules that aren't
loaded in 2.6.37 that were in 2.6.36 and I can see if they have just been
removed from the default build?

I'm running Archlinux on a Z1390S.

I took Adam's 2.6.37 kernel patch and kernel config, and built myself two
versions of the 2.6.37 kernel:
    1. stock 2.6.37-rc1 from kernel.org
    2. the "Ubuntu" kernel obtained by 'git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-lucid.git'

In both cases I was able to apply the patch and get a working kernel that is
ableto resume from sleep, using Intel card.  However, my sound also does not
work.  I'm not using pulseaudio, just basic ALSA stuff; udev loads
snd_hda_intel, etc.  Audio works fine for me with Archlinux's 2.6.35 kernel,
as well as when I was using Adam's 2.6.36 kernel on an Ubuntu install.

Sooo, for what it's worth, here's another vote of "sound does not work on
2.6.37".  I'll try using 'make menuconfig' to pore through the options and
see if I notice anything that could be affecting it.

(still quite new at this!)

__
mbiggs