VPC Z13 / Gentoo Linux / 2.6.36 / NVIDIA: Struggling to set backlight, please help...

Hi all,

I have a new VPCZ13AFJ and got pretty much everything to work:  fakeraid,
keyboard, trackpad, graphics and sound.
My BIOS is patched, switching is set to static in the advanced menu and the
switch is set to Speed.

Now just one thing is killing me: *how to lower the backlight power on this
machine ?*

I tried the script which created "sony-nvidia-brightness-down" and
"sony-nvidia-brightness-up" in my /etc/acpi/events/.  Well that's good,
except that these script call "nvclock -S -5" which does *not* work on my
system !

When I run "nvclock -S -5" I get:

Unhandled init script entry with id '' at 6fab
(....)
Unhandled init script entry with id '' at 02d4
Error!
Smartdimmer is only supported on certain (HP/Samsung/Sony/Zepto) laptops
using a Geforce 6200/7x00Go/8x00Go. If you want support on your laptop
contact the author.

My version of nvclock is:   sys-power/nvclock-9999   which is the CVS
version !

I tried writing to /proc/acpi/video/DGPU/LCD/brightness but I get "Invalid
argument".

I tried writing to /sys/devices/virtual/backlight/sony/brightness which has
no visible effect. Brightness is still at maximum.

I tried to compile and "make install" the
"sony-laptop-zseries-0.9np7.tar.gz", then put "options sony-laptop
speed_stamina=3" into /etc/modprobe.d/sony-laptop.conf and rebooted.  No
visible improvement either.

Any insight would be *very* welcome !

Thanks,

Joël