Re: Intel working on F14 with 2.6.37 - power consumption / screen light on after resume / two finger scrolling

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 06:01:12PM +0000, David Aveiro wrote:
> Hi there,

David,

> managed to install F14 on my Vaio VPCZ1 and using this kernel I can
> use Intel in stamina mode and get some less Watts being consumed in
> battery mode. Thanks for that Adam! I'm sticking with this intel
> solution for now (mainly due to improved battery life). Just for the
> record, in my case, the nvidia driver (kernel module) from RPMfusion
> repository works with the latest F14 kernel update but X.org
> strangely has slow reaction (changing windows, typing...). Didn't
> test the noveau driver though. Other people with F14 here might tell
> their experience.

Glad you made some progress.

> Regarding power consumption I still find it a big high compared to
> one email I saw of Adam with 10W! Here's  my output:
>
>      PowerTOP version 1.13      (C) 2007 Intel Corporation
>
> Cn                Avg residency       P-states (frequencies)
> C0 (cpu running)        ( 0.5%)       Turbo Mode     7.1%
> polling           0.0ms ( 0.0%)         2.67 Ghz     0.0%
> C1 mwait          0.1ms ( 0.0%)         2.40 Ghz     0.7%
> C2 mwait          1.8ms ( 0.9%)         2.14 Ghz     0.0%
> C3 mwait         19.6ms (98.6%)         1199 Mhz    92.2%
>
> Wakeups-from-idle per second : 56.7     interval: 15.0s
> Power usage (ACPI estimate): 13.2W (4.4 hours)
>
> Top causes for wakeups:
>   15.3% ( 16.2)   PS/2 keyboard/mouse/touchpad interrupt
>   13.1% ( 13.9)   kworker/0:0
>    9.0% (  9.5)   [ahci] <interrupt>
>
> Suggestion: Enable the CONFIG_INOTIFY kernel configuration option.
> This option allows programs to wait for changes in files and directories
> instead of having to poll for these changes
>
> I get extremely high values for the touch pad... is this normal?
> Also is there a simple way to enable INOTIFY without recompiling the
> kernel?
>
> Regarding Compiz, if I try to activate Desktop Effects, I get the
> very strange effect of a "vertical mirror flip" in the output, that
> is, the display is fine, but I see all display's letters (and
> images) as if they were vertically flipped and then projected in a
> mirror! Anybody ever saw anything like this and knows how to solve
> it?

Think I saw that a few years ago and it was fixed in the Intel driver.
Can't remember the details - sorry.

> As a contribution to the community, I publish my solution to the
> problem that I could not have the screen light working after resume
> (and also on how to have two finger scrolling working), not even
> following the solution present in some past threads. I was getting
> the error "Can't open display". Strangely, my primary display is
> identified not as DP3 but as "null". Here's the output of xrandr.
>
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1600 x 900, maximum 8192 x 8192
> (null)1 connected 1600x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
> axis) 291mm x 164mm
>    1600x900       59.9*+   40.0
> VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
>
> But by calling xrandr in verbose mode I found there's an hex
> identifier associated to each output and I can use that ID (in my
> case 0x41) for xrandr at resume. Here's my script in
>
> /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/01sony-vaio
> (don't forget to chmod +x this file)

I tried this on my Vaio - the screen has the same hex identifier.
However, the screen still doesn't come back on.  Or rather, the
backlight comes on but there's nothing visible.

The details in /var/log/pm-suspend.log are:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/01sony-vaio resume suspend:Can't open
display
Can't open display
Failed to connect to X Server.
Failed to connect to X Server.