Re: Major RAID speed improvement (for advanced Linux users)

Hi Knuth !

Well actually I believe you have exactly the same setup as me.  And it *is*
a linux software raid - it just happens to be setup with the parameters read
from the Intel fakeraid metadata that is on the disks. But the operation is
fully software.

/dev/md126 is the linux software raid, which uses /dev/md127 as the
underlying interface to the metadata.  You can see that in /proc/mdstat:

md127 : inactive sdd[3](S) sda[2](S) sdb[1](S) sdc[0](S)
      9028 blocks super external:imsm

But /dev/md126 is really a true linux software raid0, with a 128kB stripe
size.

Yes, many distros (including Gentoo also) still use initrd's which don't
include mdadm 3.0+, which is required to handle the intel metadata. That's
why I recommend to copy a static compile of it, to the initrd.

Best regards,

Joël