Re: Multi-boot arch-linux in Vaio Z13X

I can't help with anything regarding RAID and/or windows, but in case any of
this helps:

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010, DrKarl wrote:
     For Linux I would like to try to install Arch Linux, but if it becomes
too difficult I'll try something more mainstream like Debian or Ubuntu.

For the record, I'm successfully using Arch Linux on my Z1390.  To get the
hardware support working nice, I actually use Adam's "Ubuntu" kernel
packages, I just unpackage them and put his kernel (vmlinuz and initrd.img
files) into /boot and add it as an entry to /boot/grub/menu.lst .  My grub
line looks like this:

title  arch :: 2.6.37-6-vaioz [ubuntu kernel]
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.37-6-vaioz root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/ae15ff25-6a49-4002-ab50-d3655e21c5bc ro acpi_osi="!Windows 2006" acpi_backlight=vendor
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.37-6-vaioz

I also take Adam's upstart script and place it as /etc/rc.local .  For
battery life, I configured laptop-mode-tools to turn on most of its options,
and I use stamina mode almost exclusively (which means at boot I have to
echo "stamina" to /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/speed_stamina).  In
/etc/rc.conf I blacklist two modules:
MODULES=(!evbug !nouveau)

but that's only because I haven't bothered experimenting with the nvidia
card, because I almost always care exclusively about battery life.
(The evbug was just throwing spurious messages into the syslog.)

*shrug* don't remember what else I did to make things happy.  Best of luck!

Oh, and note that Adam's latest experimental kernel (the 2.6.37-6 one)
doesn't seem to wake up from sleep mode, so I recommend starting out with
one of the stabler earlier ones.

__
mbiggs