Vaio VPCZ1390x

Hi all,

I recently got a lovely machine -- the Vaio VPCZ1390x (a customized Z series machine). It turned out to be an ubuntu disaster:

The installer can't even run properly - once it tries to start X the screen blanks and that's it; hard (power-button) reboot only; no magic SysRq. Same thing happens with Adam's kernel, except the speed/stamina LED comes on with a mode matching the switch setting.

The only X windows driver I managed to get to work is the vesa "failsafe" at 1280x1024; the native resolution is 1900x1080. Both the Intel and the Nvidia drivers fail to start, reporting no available screens. I got the LCD EDID downloaded from windows and tried to inject it via the xorg.conf -- no banana. An external screen doesn't work either.

Audio isn't working. Both the nVidia and the Intel chips report an audio driver. Windows claims to use a RealTek which Linux doesn't seem to find.

Any ideas on how to make this machine's audio and video work?

Thanks,
--Shai

Follow ups