Harddisk spindown

Hi all,

I have been successfully running Ubuntu 10.04 (dual boot with Win7) for some
time now on a VPCZ12 (using Adam's files). I had noticed that when using the
NVidia drivers, my harddisk would make an alarming noise (tick-squeal) when
powering down, but when using the Intel drivers this didn't happen. Windows
also seems able to always neatly spin down the harddisk. Recently, it also
started making the noise when using the Intel drivers.

I have no idea what the cause is, my best guess is that it is related to
power management. I would be very grateful if someone could help me narrow
this down a bit. Are there any basic tests that I can do to diagnose the
problem? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any information is
appreciated. I realise that more information might be needed, but I'm not
quite sure what information to post; feel free to ask for specifics.

Regards,
Sjoerd Cranen