Re: new testing release of sony-laptop-zseries 0.9np8pre3

On Fr, 22 Jul 2011, Brett Howard wrote:
> How does one set the battery care function once running this kernel?

Short description I wrote up ...
---------------------------
The following files in /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop
allow controlling various aspects.

The documentation here was created by Norbert Preining by reading the
source, so it might be wrong and burn your computer ;-)

lid_resume_control
        controls resume when lid is opened
        0       do nothing
        1       resume from S4 (ram)
        2       resume from S3 (disk)
        3       resume from S4 and S3

odd_power
        controls the cdrom drive connection
        0       disconnected (off)
        1       connected (on)

battery_care_limiter
        controls up to which level a battery is charged
        0       no limit
        1       80%
        2       50%

thermal_control
        controls the temperature/fan activity (AFAIU)
        0       balanced
        1       performance
        2       silent

thermal_profiles
        number of different profiles???

touchpad
        turns touchpad on or off
        0       off
        1       on

-------------------------------------

> there some user space application that comes along for the ride?  I've

Yes, there is a user space, actually two: "cat" and "echo", the first
for reading the value of the setting above, the other for writing ;-)

Best wishes

Norbert
SWANAGE (pl.n.)
Swanage is the series of diversionary tactics used when trying to
cover up the existence of a glossop (q.v.) and may include (a)
uttering a high-pitched laugh and pointing out of the window (NB. this
doesn't work more that twice); (b) sneezing as loudly as possible and
wiping the glossop off the table in the same movement as whipping out
your handkerchief; (c) saying 'Christ! I seen to have dropped some
shit on your table' (very unwise); (d) saying 'Christ, who did that?'
(better) (e) pressing your elbow on the glossop itself and working
your arms slowly to the edge of the table; (f) leaving the glossop
where it is but moving a plate over it and putting up with sitting at
an uncomfortable angle the rest of the meal; or, if the glossop is in
too exposed a position, (g) leaving it there unremarked except for the
occasional humorous glance.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff