Re: Fwd: Linux on VPC-Z21

On Sa, 17 Sep 2011, Rob Mukai wrote:
> > > i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_fbc=1
> > > i915.lvds_downclock=1" in /etc/default/grub
> >
> > Recently someone posted a fix for ivybridge or so here on the list,
> > it fas some  blablabla disable for i915.
> >
> > I'll dig around and see if I can find that.

No need, you have it already, it was the:
	i915.i915_enable_rc6=1
See
http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?59524-Linux-3.1-Kernel-Draws-More-Powe
r-With-Another-Regression/
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_31_power_regress&num=1

> Yes that is with the intel card running. The radeon is in the external media
> dock.

Hmm, then this is really a problem. Which kernel? Do you compile yourself
of take a distribution kernel?

There are permanent updates to the new Sandy/Ivy/whatever-I-forgot/-brige
permanently going on in the kernel updates.

> > > -Fingerprint reader - Fingerprint-GUI doesn't detect the reader. I
> > believe
> > > it just needs a new device added to the detection as ID 08ff:168f
> > AuthenTec,
> > > Inc. is the same as 08ff:1660 and 08ff:1680.
> >
> > No, probably only the permissions are not set properly for the usb sys fs
> > so you cannot read it.
> >

> Could you tell me which file to look for so I can change the perrmissions? I

For the permissions you have to add an udev rule.

> think actually that the card id is too new. looking at the Authentec site it
> says that my card (id:  08ff:168f) is the same as 08ff:1680 and 1660
>
> http://support.authentec.com/KnowledgeBase/KBview/tabid/843/ArticleId/299/Identifying-your-Fingerprint-Sensor-Model.aspx
>
> Where fingerprint-gui site says they only support the 08ff:1600 here:
> https://launchpad.net/~fingerprint/+archive/fingerprint-gui

Then you have to recompile fingerprint stuff and add this id, not that
I know how to, but I compile it once and now forgot it, since I am
not using it anyway.

> Ok, So I can re-encrypt everything and I should be able to get it working?

encrypted or not does not change these kind of things.

> P.S. Where are you in Japan? I lived there for many years.

Kanazawa, Ishikawa-ken. And you? What did you do there?

Best wishes

Norbert
ARDSLIGNISH (adj.)
Adjective which describes the behaviour of Sellotape when you are
tired.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff