Re: Problems with kernel 3.1 and vaio Z21 (2011)

On 2011-09-27 10:55, Damien R wrote:
On 26 September 2011 22:45, Rob Mukai <dothedog2010@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:dothedog2010@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    NIcklas, Well over the weekend, I tried installing the fglrx
    driver from ATI and it completely blew up my install. I ended up
    reinstalling from scratch, following my notes. A couple of things,
    1. I will wait for better support of the PMD Graphics card before
    trying again ;) 2. I didn't need to upgrade MESA to get full
    3d/compiz working with the 3.1.0-rc6 kernel. MESA 7.10.2 works
    just fine. Everything else went in fine as per my notes. vaio
    patched kernel, WWAN, Clickpad, Power Management, FN buttons, etc.
    Maybe I'll post my install notes. See if you can see anything
    different.

Nice !
I have a question regarding FN Buttons, does FN+F1 key work ? For me, the key is not recognized even with the xev utility.

Regards,
Damien R.

No, my fn+f1 is not working.. not even in wintendo 7 :)

Btw, I discovered something strange during the weekend....

I'm on RC6 kernel, stable mesa. When i'm using the laptop with the onboard screen, it looks like the color depth is 16 bits -> crappy drawing of gradients and transparency in my terminals is kind of ugly. On the other hand, when i'm using the external display via HDMI, it's runinng 24 bits (or what ever it's called), so nice gradients, perfect transparency etc.

I wonder how that is? Is the onboard screen reporting something weird to X or another subsystem? Or is X or subsystem Y failing to recgonize that the onboard screen is capable of higher colordepths?

My 5 cents for now :) I'm waiting for the open-source ATI graphics stack to pick up the support - the Catalyst drivers has also destroyed a big part of my setup a week ago, managed to recover though.

/Nicklas