Re: problems with adam's script & ubuntu 11.10

Thanks for your help Rutger, now both of my video modes work! Some
notes below for the benefit of others who might be grappling with
similar problems. I'll do a write-up later in my blog and link it to
the Z-series wiki.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Rutger Hendriks
<rutgerhendriks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What seemed to help for me in that case is reinstall the intel part...
> I'm not sure, but I think reinstalling the intel part:
> apt-get --reinstall install xserver-xorg-video-intel (and maybe also
> mesa-utils?)

This alone didn't do the trick, but I tried to re-install the mesa-glx
and mesa-dri libraries as well along with xorg-core. This helped
before with 11.04, so I thought it might work:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel
libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

This, however, produced the mysterious error message "E: Internal
Error, No file name for libgl1-mesa-glx". It's a bug of Ubuntu 11.10:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/859188. A
workaround suggested by Sal Mazzola in the Launchpad discussion linked
above is to download the mesa libraries manually and override the new
architecture-dependent package system:

apt-get download libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri
dpkg --install libgl1-mesa-*.deb

I also did a “sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg” in the end, I don't
know if this is a necessary step or not...

Now, both video modes seem to work properly, they booted on the first try. Yay!

> With regard to the nvidia-current / nvidia-current-updates that
> ofcourse depends on which package you installed...
> nvidia-current-updates is what I installed

Yes, what I meant was that I tried the nvidia-current-updates package
first, and I couldn't get the Nvidia mode to work, so I switched to
the nvidia-current package.

>> Also, resuming from suspend does not work on the Nvidia side, except
>> if I drop to console first (Ctrl+Alt+F1) before doing suspend (sudo
>> pm-suspend), and when waking up quickly switch back to X with Alt+F7.
>> It's a pain, but better than rebooting. =)
>
> Ah, nice workaround ;-)

Thanks. =) One more thing regarding resuming from suspend in Nvidia.
Sometimes the trick above does not work, but I realised today that if
I switch a couple of times between the console and X, in the end, the
screen wakes up! It took me about 5 tries. Annoying, but better than
losing your work or open windows.

Cheers,
Heikki