Re: Gobi3000 and firmwares

Unless the device was pre-loaded with the firmware from the manufacturer you do need it. I have the US model Z21 and that had a small app that asked you which provider you want and loaded the firmware. I'm almost certain it did not have a firmware loaded before that.

If you don't have the firmware loaded then you need the GobiAPI to do it and that one is just bad, I tried to make it work for Linux but ended up finding a windows example app to do it for me. And no, gobi_loader doesn't work anymore because the firmware loading model changed.

If you do have the firmware loaded then all you need is GobiSerial compiled or modify the qcserial module to include your hardware IDs and then use regular wvdial or latest and greatest NetworkManager.  I've been using it for a while now and even switched to using GobiNet a week ago so I don't have to deal with the overhead of pppd and slow down of serial ports.