Re: Mint 64 bit on vng-z 11 wn-b

Hi Anestis,
personally I have never used nomodest, neither with linux 2.6 nor with 3.5.
If you pass this option to the kernel than the intel driver won't work.

The param -rdblacklist, if I'm not mistaken, is used to blacklist a kernel
module so that it is not loaded automatically. Not surprisingly it is the
nouveau module that sometimes may give problems. For example on my vaio
with linux 2.6 caused the screen to turn to black at boot time (with and
without modeset).

I've never used -vmalloc=192M option so I can't comment here.

Regarding the acpi_osi parameter, you must be sure that to the kernel it is
passed the string:

acpi_osi="!Windows 2006"

For example, here's my /proc/cmdline:

BOOT_IMAGE=Slack-14 ro root=801 resume=/dev/sda2 elevator=noop
vt.default_utf8=0 acpi_osi="!Windows 2006"

The confusion with the number of escapes (\) is related to the fact that
usually this string is specified inside a string field in the configuration
of some program (lilo, grub...). If this string field is also protected
with double quotes than you need to escape those of the parameter. The
number of backslashes depend of the boot loader that you are using and on
how the string field is interpreted. For example with lilo I use:

append="resume=/dev/sda2 elevator=noop vt.default_utf8=0
acpi_osi=\"!Windows 2006\""

Anyway you can verify if you passed the parameter correctly by looking at
the /proc/cmdline content.

Best,
Mauro