Re: Ubuntu 13.10 no sound on speakers

I just installed 3.12RC5 from here:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.12-rc5-saucy/

Upon a reboot I had sound.  Loaded up smplayer and poof all worked out of
the speakers.  However then a friend signed onto skype and when it went to
make a sound the speakers started a static sound.  Adjusting the volume in
the sound applet would then adjust the volume of this static sound.

Another yet more annoying problem was that the sony-laptop-zseries-master
file that I've been using all this time would no longer compile in 3.12.
 Hopefully there will be some improvements that make 3.12 not have the
other sound issues.  The static sound wouldn't stop.  I should have tried
restarting alsa but didn't...

Anyway back on 3.11 now but thought I'd report what i found with the latest
Ubuntu 3.12 packages.

~Brett