Re: SSD and RAM Upgrade

I did the SSD upgrage a few years ago on my laptop and my wife's. Search for MZRPC512HAFU.

I've been on ubuntu since day one. 16.04 works fine. You need to use the server version to activate RAID, but besides that it's great.

Cheers!
-R

Hello Folks,

I really do enjoy my SVZ13. I've got the quad core i7 with 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM.

A few questions:

  1.  Has anyone successfully upgraded the SSD to 512GB? I've found a couple cards that claim to be compatible on ebay and aliexpress. Like this<https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Raid-LIF-SATA-512GB-SSD-For-Sony-VAIO-VPCZ2-Series-VPC-Z2-Z22-Z23-Z21/32720927966.html>. However if there's 1TB I'd love to get that in instead!
  2.  Has anyone succesfully installed linux (preferably debian stable [maybe with some unstable backported packages etc]) and got it to recognise the disk as one striped disk using the intel based RAID, rather than two separate disks? The one install guide that I found claims that this is not possible.
  3.  Has anyone been able to increase the RAM to 16GB or even 32GB? Could you link to the modules that you purchased? I run VMs for dev work and the extra RAM would be really useful to get the machine to go a few more years. Alternatively if the processor is going to be a bottleneck or SSD based swap will be good enough for the VMs, then please indicate so. AFAIK the processor supports up to 32GB.
  4.  I have broken the flimsy sim tray. How to replace it?

There's nothing on the market that really necessitates me changing my machine, it really is a performance beast. Want to give it a breath of new life!

--
Yours,
Nikhil Somaru