spreadubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: new design mock-ups

On 17/07/08 06:45, Onno Benschop wrote:
> While I appreciate the ongoing emails with new designs and graphics, I
> think we might be running a little ahead of ourselves here.
>
> So far, the only discussion on structure was the email from Neal and
> that discussion seemed pretty minimal.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dis the contributions, but I'm a
> little concerned that there are no specs (that I'm aware of) that say
> what specific functionality requirements exist. That is, there is no
> sense of the blueprints with use cases, no requirements, no set-out that
> says, we're going to do this.
>
> As I see it, and please, feel free to disagree with my analogy, but
> imagine that spread-ubuntu is a car. At the moment we're discussing what
> shape the mirrors have and what colour to paint the bumpers, but there
> has been no discussion about how much load capacity it has, what fuel
> consumption, which buyers, how many wheels, what shape, etc.
>
> While it feels great to discuss the colours, it doesn't actually build a
> car that others can use.
>
> Of course there might be documentation that I missed, in which case, can
> someone please point me to it?

Hmm, I missed the part where I asked some pertinent questions. In no
particular order, I'm just trying to get across that there are lots of
things that I don't think we have answers to.

    * What kind of services will the diy site offer, that is for
      example, upload, download, search, version control, etc.
    * What information is required for the static site?
    * How big will the documents be that we're going to offer?
    * What kind of load are we expecting?
    * How much disk-space are we going to need?
    * How much band-width?
    * Who will be able to do what to the site?
    * What kind of access controls will there be?
    * Which languages will we support?
    * What interface elements will need to be translated?
    * Who will be the audience for this site and what requirements do
      they have?
    * Where will we source our initial material?
    * What kind of version control will we use for the site itself?

I also think that the above list is incomplete and that it will require
a group discussion to flesh out. Talking about designs and layouts can
in my opinion happen after that.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..