spreadubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: New Design Discussion and Feedback

Hello,

it has been quite a while since I last wrote something to the list, but
I have been following SU developments closely. I have a little more time
on my hands now, which allows me to come back to a couple of projects...

I welcomed the change in branding for Ubuntu with great joy and
excitement last week, we are definitely heading in the right direction
with the "light" themes and feeling. Sometimes, less is more!

At this point, I want to show you an image that I found some time ago. I
remembered it whilst reading Evan's email and thinking of possible
changes.
http://freezedriedwater.com/media/simplicity.png
This is exactly what Spread Ubuntu must not fall into if we want it to
be a central and productive tool for the community, especially with the
new branding.
Take Launchpad for instance. The UI is constantly being worked on and,
considering the massive amount of new and old features, the interface is
a slick, clean working space.

Instead of replying to every point, trying to make images clear, I
drafted a mockup of what I have in mind on the gimp.
http://freezedriedwater.com/media/homepage_mockup1-PierreVorhagen.png

Remarks:
- 5 elements in my mockup:
	* Top navigation bar
	* Marketing campaigns scrollable banners (similar to ubuntu.com)
	* Explanatory links of the Spread Ubuntu options with icons
	* A short monthly choice of well-rated materials, with a
description as to why they're good, and in need of translation.
	* Footer -> needs to be modified of course ;)

- The Get/Make/Translate/Share icons would be relevant to their meaning,
and obviously not these ones, but keeping the same style.

- The "Log In" link could be placed next to the "Share materials", in
the top navigation bar, and the appearing links (News, Account, Create
Content and Log Out) would add themselves to the top bar. There will
probably not be enough space, so I suggest removing the word "materials"
behind the links, which is quite redundant in my opinion, especially for
returning visitors that know the concept.

- You will have noticed that right now there is no reserved space for a
small description of SU. This can be added at the right of the campaign
banners I think, since it doesn't need to be long. And "Read more..."
links are great! ;)

- The monthly choice of top-rated materials might enable the marketing
team to somehow draw Ubuntu-related marketing in a specific direction,
reinforcing a unified branding over unrelated local efforts. I think
that it's very important to not just offer an exchange platform, but
also to show the way marketeers should go. To compare with the business
world, marketing is deemed to fail if the marketeers don't follow the
company direction. This is why our role as a link between Canonical, the
marketing team and the marketeers is essential in my opinion.

- If we want to make SU a central marketing resource, and not only a
repository, the campaign banners are important. In the same idea, I
would suggest that we echo the efforts of LoCo's and LUGs on a "Spread
Ubuntu Blog". The posts would appear on the homepage in a dedicated
"Marketing Ubuntu " box (which can be under or next to the top-rated
box). It's very gratifying to see one's efforts relayed on a somewhat
"official" Ubuntu site.

I have not yet drafted anything about the materials node, but I think
that with the sidebar disappearing, there will be enough space to
"un-clutter" everything a little bit, and stay in-line with the new
"light" theme. This e-mail already got way too long anyway...

Wishing you a nice day,
Pierre