Re: Linux is far from being free of malware??!!

On Jan 4, 2014 1:21 PM, "Ali Linx (amjjawad)" <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Marcello Tescari <
> marcello.tescari@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 4, 2014 1:13 PM, "Ali Linx (amjjawad)" <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2197530
>> >
>> > What do you think? :)
>> >
>> > Thank you!
>> >

>> I never experienced myself malware on a linux machine but some of my
>> kubunters managed to get some malware in their browser such as those
>> changing homepage, search engines or filling them with suspicious toolbars
>>
>> Marcello
>>

> Hi,
>
> You always forget to hit reply to All :P never mind :)
>
> Same here. I have never ever seen that for 3 years nor heard anyone had
> such thing. This might be the first time I hear/read such a thing. Although
> I am not sure, it seems that user had done something like visiting weird
> websites? correct me please if I am wrong.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Hi again, sorry for the Reply "not to all" but it's something I usually
mistake when replying from phone.
As I said,  I never experienced, but I also never experienced Virus or
whatever neither when using windows and I was also sometimes visiting weird
websites. I think it's just a matter of not clicking on "click here"
banners or similar
That happened to three or four people so far in about 20 that I know are my
"kubunters". Two of them being my sister and my girlfriend so I doubt they
visited weird websites, but sometimes while trying to download some
software, they also downladed toolbars and similar stuff (even sourceforge
has a lot of download this and download that links, just to make an
example) as they are not expert users.
Even though, if you download and install them for mistake in linux, you can
just remove them from the browser or delete the .nameofthebrowser folder
from the home directory... in Windows you need to scan the register and
sometimes the whole system gets harmed

Marcello Tescari