Re: Linux is far from being free of malware??!!

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Marcello Tescari <marcello.tescari@xxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2014 1:21 PM, "Ali Linx (amjjawad)" <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Marcello Tescari <
>> marcello.tescari@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I never experienced myself malware on a linux machine but some of my
>>> kubunters managed to get some malware in their browser such as those
>>> changing homepage, search engines or filling them with suspicious toolbars
>>>
>>> Marcello
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> You always forget to hit reply to All :P never mind :)
>>
>> Same here. I have never ever seen that for 3 years nor heard anyone had
>> such thing. This might be the first time I hear/read such a thing. Although
>> I am not sure, it seems that user had done something like visiting weird
>> websites? correct me please if I am wrong.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Hi again, sorry for the Reply "not to all" but it's something I usually
> mistake when replying from phone.

Hi and No worries :)

> As I said,  I never experienced,

Same here :)

> but I also never experienced Virus or whatever neither when using windows
> and I was also sometimes visiting weird websites.

The 16 machines for my neighbors that I converted to Linux in 3 months,
maybe half of these were infected with viruses and the rest were semi-dead.
For me? I've been with Windows since 1999 and I am not quite sure if I ever
had a virus on my own machine? but I am 100% sure I have seen so many virus
alert on my machine and others' people machines.

> I think it's just a matter of not clicking on "click here" banners or
> similar
> That happened to three or four people so far in about 20 that I know are
> my "kubunters".

Yeah, and that proves the theory of: "Be Careful Whenever You Are Using The
Internet and Do Not Click on Anything Unless You Know What Are You Doing."
but IMHO, the OS you are using is still does matter whether it will help
that virus or whatever it is to spread itself or can't even be run.

> Two of them being my sister and my girlfriend so I doubt they visited
> weird websites, but sometimes while trying to download some software, they
> also downladed toolbars and similar stuff (even sourceforge has a lot of
> download this and download that links, just to make an example) as they are
> not expert users.

Why would they download anything 'directly' from the website? the idea of
having Synaptic or Software Manager installed by default with Ubuntu and
its official variants is to actually keep everyone safe. With Linux, you
don't really need to go to any Website to install anything.

> Even though, if you download and install them for mistake in linux, you
> can just remove them from the browser or delete the .nameofthebrowser
> folder from the home directory... in Windows you need to scan the register
> and sometimes the whole system gets harmed

Not to mention you might need to re-install or format when it comes to
Windows :D

> Marcello Tescari

Thank you!

Best Regards,