Re: Feedback and Assessment for StartUbuntu

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 11:57 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been thinking a lot lately about StartUbuntu and everything related to
> this project. A side from the fact that I am so disappointed as people were
> super excited at first but I feel sometimes I am talking to myself here, I'd
> really like to know what is wrong?

First of all, I think it's important to recognize that starting a
project is tough! Most folks who contribute to open source as
volunteers have jobs or school or family (or all three!) and so we're
constantly weighing those obligations against each other. You've been
doing a great job persevering and pushing the project along, there
certainly are folks here who continue to be interested in
participating :)

I also think what you're trying to do is difficult. I spend a lot of
time on Ubuntu but it's very difficult for me to get out in the world
and do promotion because I am not great at getting out and talking to
people (that's ok, I have other skills!).

Now, I do have some suggestions.

1. LoCo teams are already a really great asset for the Ubuntu
community and for many of them their main goal is advocacy.

As you know, I'm currently in the process of taking the flyers that
Pierre created and making ones that promote Ubuntu and Xubuntu (rather
than Mint) and tomorrow I'll be shipping the PDFs off to the printer
to get ready for a conference at the end of the month where my LoCo is
running an Ubuntu booth. It's really exciting for us to have
StartUbuntu making materials that we can remix and share. So it would
be great to collect a couple of these resources and then email the
loco-contacts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx list to share the spreadubuntu.org
links for them. I'm planning on mentioning the flyers we remixed with
Xubuntu in an upcoming blog post and will post again once they're
printed.

2. Participate in the Ubuntu Advocacy Kit:

https://launchpad.net/uak
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ubuntu%20Advocacy%20Kit%20(UAK)

This project has had trouble getting off the ground but I think it's
very valuable. Perhaps StartUbuntu can submit promotional materials
geared at folks looking to switch from Windows XP? Then when people
download the kit they have your materials right there. This project
needs a lot of help beyond that too, so I'd encourage folks to have a
look at it.

Hope this helps, hang in there!

http://www.princessleia.com