Re: Feedback and Assessment for StartUbuntu

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:04 AM, Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph
<lyz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 11:57 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I've been thinking a lot lately about StartUbuntu and everything related to
>> this project. A side from the fact that I am so disappointed as people were
>> super excited at first but I feel sometimes I am talking to myself here, I'd
>> really like to know what is wrong?
>
> First of all, I think it's important to recognize that starting a
> project is tough! Most folks who contribute to open source as
> volunteers have jobs or school or family (or all three!) and so we're
> constantly weighing those obligations against each other. You've been
> doing a great job persevering and pushing the project along, there
> certainly are folks here who continue to be interested in
> participating :)
>
> I also think what you're trying to do is difficult. I spend a lot of
> time on Ubuntu but it's very difficult for me to get out in the world
> and do promotion because I am not great at getting out and talking to
> people (that's ok, I have other skills!).
>
> Now, I do have some suggestions.
>
> 1. LoCo teams are already a really great asset for the Ubuntu
> community and for many of them their main goal is advocacy.
>
> As you know, I'm currently in the process of taking the flyers that
> Pierre created and making ones that promote Ubuntu and Xubuntu (rather
> than Mint) and tomorrow I'll be shipping the PDFs off to the printer
> to get ready for a conference at the end of the month where my LoCo is
> running an Ubuntu booth. It's really exciting for us to have
> StartUbuntu making materials that we can remix and share. So it would
> be great to collect a couple of these resources and then email the
> loco-contacts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx list to share the spreadubuntu.org
> links for them. I'm planning on mentioning the flyers we remixed with
> Xubuntu in an upcoming blog post and will post again once they're
> printed.
>
> 2. Participate in the Ubuntu Advocacy Kit:
>
> https://launchpad.net/uak
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ubuntu%20Advocacy%20Kit%20(UAK)
>
> This project has had trouble getting off the ground but I think it's
> very valuable. Perhaps StartUbuntu can submit promotional materials
> geared at folks looking to switch from Windows XP? Then when people
> download the kit they have your materials right there. This project
> needs a lot of help beyond that too, so I'd encourage folks to have a
> look at it.
>
> Hope this helps, hang in there!
>
> --
> Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph || Lyz || pleia2
> http://www.princessleia.com

Hi all,

I'm sorry I haven't been so active lately but I'm really busy at this
time with my job that someday I'm glad I find the time to sleep.

Apart from that, in the last three weeks I converted a friend and
updated another from a old version of ubuntu to the latest kubuntu lts
and gave some online help to solve small problems to some previously
converted users.

I couldn't do more, but I'll try to catch up as soon as I'll be able to.

On the other hand the Linux User Group to which I take part has
started a project to prepare computer rooms of some primary schools of
the area with WiilDOS which is an Education linux distribution and by
the time M$ support for Windows Xp will end, they're going to make a
public event/conference to speak about it and to promote several linux
solutions

As far as translations are needed, I'm still trying to find out which
is the text to be translated (sorry if I haven't been inattentive) and
I'll do the italian translation in spare time.

 Marcello Tescari