Re: Cyber cafe

Thanks Alberto for your feedbacks.

I would like to share 2 comments:

Sometimes the reason why software is presented in an unified format is not
because its ease to use, but in the interest of making it to look more
featured [...]

I do not agree. Most of the cyber café are managed by people who have no
idea about GNU/Linux and FLOSS and if you come up with a solutions that
needs a lot of triggering, they will simply not adopt it. They needs the
FLOSS alternative to offer at least all the features they already have and
it must be as easy to managed than Windows.

This is for Windows updates and installations, which are big. But
installations and updates for Ubuntu are so minimal it makes unnecessary to
have a dedicated repository for that, specially if you aren't using a large
amount of computers as in a corporation.

Cyber café are especially important in less developed countries where the
internet network is also less developed. Even for me that play with about 3
Ubuntu box, the volume of the update matters (and I used to copy the
content of /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb from one computer to another,
which is not a very clean solution. For a cybercafé or a school in Addis,
to have 10 computers downloading the same updates each one (and they are
not so minimal, you easy download 60Mb per week) is an issue.

I believe the use of GNU/Linux for the cyber café deserve a dedicated
distribution that would be quite close to Edubuntu. If this project needs
some funds to start, I am willing to contribute. But I would prefer to see
this being centralized and shared rather than paying someone for myself
that would develop a particular and difficult to replicate solution.

To be continued... ;-)

Pierre

JPEG image