subunit-dev team mailing list archive

Re: timing data, the time stamp facility and test activity granularity

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 11:05 +1000, Jonathan Lange wrote:

> > I think its going to fit somewhere in the gap between
> > tests take care of testing
> > results take care of reporting
> >
> > - in a model of tests being a black box what things do what is internal.
> > - we need some opaque-structured way to expose things that tests do
> > (structured additional data)
> >

> I think this is a good analysis.
>
> > Having that structured data be taggable in the same way that the
> > outermost stream is would allow a convention for reporting that may work
> > well, and allow TestResources and other similar things to collaborate.
>
> Sounds good to me.

Some further thoughts:
 - test resources can already log events when tearing up and down
   (via a ugly hack in python, but still)
 - perhaps nesting isn't needed or appropriate, just some events that
   are understandable-by-convention (e.g. hide-from-the-ui even if you
   don't recognize the directive).
 - 'slow setup' isn't very different to 'slow test'. details matter
   much more at that level - having separate resources that provide
   their own overall time is great, but 'bzr selftest --lsprof-tests'
   (this exists) is better (when combined with some analysis logic).

-Rob