swift team mailing list archive

Re: Deploying and maintaining rings

This may help http://swift.openstack.org/admin_guide.html

> Also, what is the process to push out new rings? Do the processes need to be restarted, or they just see the new copy of the ring?

The admin guide doesn't mention this (yet), but the processes will automatically see new rings (based on the mtime of the file changing).

As far as pushing/pulling new rings out, placing the rings on an internal web server and using something like 'wget -N' in a cronjob on the servers works. Regular scripting scp would work too, but probably wouldn't scale very far.

> Is there a tool to do this? or do you just copy the files? (The ring files already know all the servers they need to live on, so it seems like there should be a good way to automate this if it isn't already.)

I suspect that will be on someone's to do list at some point. It's been discussed, but I guess it hasn't become painful enough to address yet.

> I'll update the swift docs with a reasonable process once I understand what that looks like.

That would be awesome.