swift team mailing list archive

Re: Deploying and maintaining rings

Thanks Greg,

> > I'm curious about the workflows people use to do things like add/removed
> devices or deal with failures and how they keep rings updated.
>
> This may help http://swift.openstack.org/admin_guide.html

I'd read that, I just wasn't clear on the best way to manage updating rings.

One more clarification, when you rebuild the rings, how do you manage the
timing of pushing out the new rings? Do you push them out incrementally?

And how does the cluster behave when part of it is still on the
old/different ring?

As the clusters scale and get more complicated zones, this will be more of
an issue, but I'm just trying to understand principles for how to manage
Swift on an ongoing basis.