Re: ability to retrieve deleted file when syncany used as backup to s3?

Hi Mark,

> Thanks much for the syncany lesson! I like that it keeps internal
> chunk versions... makes it cheaper for me, and easier to handle on the
> client-side, presumably. If files are chunked and pushed to a remote
> server (ftp, etc.), are they stored on the filesystem there in their
> encrypted / chunked version? Presumably, to avoid a host system
> provider's prying eyes (eg. dropbox).

exactly. they have the form "chunk-xyz" (encrypted files).

> Forgive me if this is already written in the project, but are there
> plans to make a server-side way to peek at the file contents? I can
> see having some ec2/s3 combination with a little app that has the
> syncany bits and requires some administrator key configuration that
> offers the ability to 'share' or 'view history of this file' so I can
> get back the file that's 2 versions old I just accidentally deleted..
> It would be dynamite to package up a self-contained deployable AMI
> that provided the server, storage and a web front end as a
> backup-in-a-box package. Most backup packages I've worked with (not
> many of them, I admit) are clunky and require lots of server-side
> configuration, ssh key sharing, or rsync. Which is fine for my linux
> boxen, but not the windows machines. While a standalone server image
> that can run anywhere and read the same backend (or even provide it)
> that syncany clients sync to would be useful to me, I imagine this
> space has been tackled before, but perhaps not with as little
> configuration as syncany seems to promise.

The server side idea has of course come to my mind before and once
Syncany is somewhat stable, I'll start thinking about that a little
more. But it is important to understand that if you use Amazon AMIs to
deploy a (not yet existing) Syncany-server, you're giving away your
secret to Amazon and you didn't win anything. If you choose to use
EC2+S3, Amazon has (1) your files and (2) the key to your files, which
is obviously a problem...

Cheers,
Philipp