Re: Roadmap?

Hi Guys,

great to see syncany back on track. I'm a silent follower since the
"big bang".
Having a good understanding of programming, but NO expertise whatsover
in what you try to do. However, afterseeing somekind of roadmap, I'm
very happy to help when 0.2 comes out as a beta tester. Looking forward
to it! Keep up the pace!

Thanks,
Jan

BTW: In the roadmap version 0.2 some points appear in the
"High-Level-Scope" and "out of scope":
e.g. "Database and repository cleanup (endless versioning, ever-growing
remote storage space)" I think there is a copy and paste error. The
table looks more clean

Am Dienstag, 3. Dezember 2013 14:50:26 schrieb Philipp Heckel:
> Hello again,
>
> I've added a draft roadmap here. Additions, corrections and comments
> are welcome: https://github.com/binwiederhier/syncany/wiki/Roadmap
>
>     Indeed, but what about early releasing something for alpha testing by
>     volunteers? Also, the cleanup is going to be _very_ difficult to get
>     right because of the lack of proper locking primitive (I'll come
>     back to
>     this in another email, this might be long).
>

> I've moved the cleanup in the roadmap to 0.2, but I really wouldn't
> consider Syncany functional without it.
>
>     But if you want acceptable
>     performances, you must do that in the long run because if you don't,
>     syncany will never reach the 1 million files I'm looking for ;-)
>

> Also, I've moved this to 0.2, we can mark some features as
> "experimental" and focus on other things first.
>
>     Does it simulate _eventual consistency_? Because S3 is really
>     unreliable: it can reorder your writes which is super annoying. As far
>     as I know, the only way to implemented some kind of reliable locking
>     above S3 is to use the simple queue system.
>

> It simulates whatever you want to. You specify failing TransferManager
> operations via regex patterns. Here is the only example:
> https://github.com/binwiederhier/syncany/blob/master/tests/org/syncany/tests/connection/plugins/unreliable_local/UploadInterruptedTest.java
>
> Best
> Philipp

Dr. Jan Gebauer