Re: Syncany Watch Operation

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Philipp Heckel <philipp.heckel@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi again,
>

>  Hm. I don't quite understand the options:
>>>
>> Either use existing NotificationListener and adapt ir *or* use Google
>> EventBut .....
>>

> ... :-)
>

>> .... Only the daemon and WatchOperation need to run on the same JVM like
>> this ?
>>
>> - JVM1 : (daemon + lib) ==> running WatchOperation
>> - JVM2 : (gui) ==> running GUI only
>>
>> JVM1 and JVM2 comminicate through webSocket ....
>>

> Obviously; but do you think Guava is really necessary for such an easy
> listener? Wouldn't a simple add/setListener(..) do for the WatchOperation?

no, not necessary at all ; listener pub/sub is very fine !

> I know that you're already using the Guava EventBus so it would obviously
> be easier for your to do it with the EventBus. I am hesitant because I
> don't yet see the huge benefit it brings. It is quite heavyweight (> 2 MB).
> So I want to make sure that it really brings enough to the table to be
> worth it. (On the other hand, Guava comes with lots of other util functions
> that we could use...)
>
> - Will it work if the daemon is not present in the JVM -- in CLI-mode?

sure, it won't work in CLI mode ....
I'll come up with other more satisfying options .....
Requirements are simple : WatchOperation should be able to broadcast /
publish information related to uploading/downloading files to :
- syncany-gui ==> yes obviously
- syncany-cli ? I think yes, we could for example append information to
local log file ....

> - Is it a lot of work? If not, I'd say you could propose a solution in
> code...

not so much I guess ....

--
Vincent Wiencek