Re: EclipseCon France talk

Hello,

This is my first message to the list. I am interested in Syncany for a while but never took the opportunity to take part to the discussions on the ML so far.

The abstract seems very promising for the presentation :) Though I am not an expert in Syncany, here are some proposals, mainly typo oriented (please note English is not my mother tongue). I +1 to the suggestion of Philipp about making a less sensational title which could be difficult to justify if an attendee asks questions about it (how to be sure it's actually NSA proof?).

---
Title: Syncany, *a secure open-source file sync tool*: concepts, architecture and work in progress

File syncing services are great (especially Dropbox and their cross-platform clients), but they all come with a major flaw: these services (and who knows who else) can read your data.

Syncany is an open-source Java application aiming at synchronizing files between various devices using any dumb and/or untrusted storage facility (S3, WebDAV, FTP, …) by using encryption and authentication to secure your data. It supports various advanced features like deduplication and compression to save space and versioning to keep track of the various versions of your files in an efficient way.

You can regard it as an encrypted, binary-oriented, and simplified Git: no active central facility is needed, and all the complexity — put in the client logic — is hidden from the user.

This talk is for people interested by the concepts and the architecture of this software:
- cryptographic concepts, repository files structure and format;
- syncing concepts and data model (chunked structure, metadata, and versioning);
- work in progress, roadmap, more ideas?
- growing community, join and participate!

---

By the way, it's very good some people take time to spread the word about Syncany :)

Best,
--
  Thibaud Antignac