tomdroid-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Snowy synchronization branch

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 3:44 AM, Benoit
Garret<benoit.garret_launchpad@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm currently trying to have Tomdroid synchronize with Snowy. I've set
> up a branch at https://code.launchpad.net/~benoit.garret/tomdroid/web-sync
> which contains the work so far. I've reached a stage where things are
> testable, meaning a bit useful but still not ready for the everyman.
> It is not doing any synchronization per se, but it fetches all remote
> notes and inserts them in the tomdroid database. As notes currently
> aren't editable, I don't think we would benefit from much more than
> that at the moment.
>
> If anyone is interested and is willing to download, compile and test,
> I'm open to feedback and suggestions about code, bugs, UI design,
> features or whatever you think could be useful. I would also be happy
> to help if someone has a problem setting up a local instance of the
> snowy server to test the code.

This is great, Benoit!  Please keep an eye on Snowy git, as in the
next week or so I should be merging a patch that changes the API a bit
(these changes are already documented on the wiki page).

Out of curiosity, does your web-sync branch handle server-side
deletes?  I'm guessing not, since a quick grep in the source code
indicates that you're not tracking the last sync revision.  This also
means that every time you sync, you are getting every single note on
the server.  You could save bandwidth by tracking the last sync
revision, and only getting note updates since that revision (this
would also allow you to process deletes if you wanted to).

Looking forward to trying this out,
Sandy