Re: LiveCD issues Was:(Re: jwm-settings-manager update)

Den 2015-05-06 15:39, Israel skrev:
> On 05/06/2015 08:04 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> Den 2015-05-06 14:48, Israel skrev:
>> Hi Israel,
>>
>> 1. I'm looking forward to the new version, when you feel ready to upload
>> it :-)
>>

>> 2. Maybe you can use the new zmktbl and make a tarball of the system
>> where you make the iso file. Upload it for me to download and install in
>> my testing computer - and I can try to make nano work.
>>
>> I guess it would not work, if it is integrated in your production
>> environment - then it would be too big, and there would be many private
>> things involved too - but it should work, if it is somehow separated.
>> Otherwise, maybe you can make a tarball of the relevant directory tree
>> only, and I can install it and add to my system whatever you think I
>> should add.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
> Hi Nio,
> I am looking forward to it too!!
> The base OS tarball is already on the ISO you have (of course I need to
> upload the new one eventually...).
> Are you asking in order to use the ISOmaker scripts?
> The nano issue is solely in ISOmaker scripts.  As you know I have tried
> various ways of purging, reinstalling, installing prior to other things,
> etc... to try to get nano to behave in the liveCD.
>
> So if you are just testing the liveCD making scripts, just mount your
> ISO file and extract it from tarballs and play around with the scripts.
> really.. it only needs a tarball named ToriOS-i386.tar.xz to make the
> script work.
> You could rename some other tarball that was small for testing the
> liveCD scripts only.. (don't install it though :P, otherwise your OS
> will be shot, and OBI would probably fail)
>
> Which is a good point... will OBI fail if the tarball is not an OS?
> This would be an important safety check I think... is there a fast (for
> old computers) way to look inside a tarball and make sure there are some
> basic things in place?

Hi Israel,

A. I don't think I understand. I intended to try to help getting nano to
work, so I need the environment for doing that. Is that what you call
the iso maker scripts?

1. Get the current ToriOS iso file. Mount it. OK

2. What should I extract from the iso file? The iso maker scripts? What
names? Where should I put them? Do I need to extract and or install
something else?

B. There is no check that the tarball is an OS. It is possible to do it
- at least check for some files, that should be there - I do something
similar in mkusb in order to see if it is 'iso-testing', installing the
same system (but the next daily build). Then the USB pendrive is
selected automatically.

Yes, the OBI will fail, if certain files are missing. For example, we
have already found the /etc/fstab should be there (do you remember)?