Re: mkusb look and feel

On 08/03/2015 11:39 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2015-08-03 18:33, Israel skrev:

>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> I think I understand now - you were telling me so gently, that I did not
>>> understand at once. Now I understand that the background colours that
>>> you edit via the help menu should be saved in a separate file instead of
>>> in-line in the shellscript file. It makes the custom colours survive
>>> updates of mkusb.
>>>
>>> See the following link
>>>
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1958073&page=6&p=13332255#post13332255
>>>
>>> Thanks again :-)
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Nio
>> awesome!!
>>
>> Yes exactly!!
>> A more standard configuration way to save the file would be
>> ~/.config/.mkusb
>> using $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS
>>
>> look forward to testing it when I have a chance!!
>>
> I'm discussing that topic in the link. I'm not quite happy to save the
> configuration file to the home directory, because it is owned by root,
> because you run mkusb as root
>
> sudo -H mkusb [image-file]
>
> Best regards
> Nio
Hi again,
Yes, I fully understand this rationale... but couldn't that file be
chmod +rwa
There are plenty of good reasons to do this in my opinion.  Using the
XDG variables makes it very portable also

[[ -d "${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}" ]] && mkusbfile="${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/.mkusb}"
[[ -z "${mkusbfile}" ]] && mkusbfile=/root/.mkusb
[[ ! -f "$mkusbfile" ]] && sudo touch "$mkusbfile" && sudo chmod +rwa
"$mkusbfile"

This would mean the user could edit the file easily, as long as mkusb
automatically creates and
 echo "$file_content" | sudo tee "$mkusbfile"

Multiuser setup would allow everyone to customize mkusb with the
per-user variables...
But it is not that big of an issue.  I probably wont change the color
much, except to just do it once and a while.  are you configuring the
xterm colors as well? :D

 P.S.
Sorry, that should have been:

$XDG_CONFIG_HOME