Re: mkusb 10.0.1 can make persistent live systems

Hi Nio,
(inlines)

On 08/12/2015 02:00 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:

> Hi again Israel and Jack,
>
> The bleeding edge version 'mkusb 10.0.1' can make persistent live
> systems for ToriOS and the Ubuntu family of linux. But I would say that
> the main purpose of mkusb is still to copy/clone/flash iso files and
> other compressed image files (which does not create persistent live
> systems).
This is awesome!
> ToriOS can even boot persistent live in UEFI mode. The only hickup I
> have seen is that the mouse does not work in UEFI mode, while it works
> when booted in BIOS mode. The built-in touchpad works. I do not get this
> hickup with Ubuntu, at least not with newer Ubuntu flavours (14.04 LTS
> and newer). It does not mean, that we can or should install ToriOS
> (32-bit) in UEFI mode, just a statement: ToriOS non-pae can work in UEFI
> mode :-)
Yeah, we do not yet have the ability to install in UEFI mode...
I do not have a good EFI machine to test on.  I have an older MacBook
that has EFI, but Mac EFI is a mess on these older one especially.
> A portable pendrive with ToriOS live and persistent live can run in
> 'everything' from very old computers without PAE to the new computers
> with UEFI.
That is cool.  That is amazing!  I really want this!!! :)
> I uploaded this bleeding edge version of mkusb to Phill's server, but
> not yet to the unstable ppa. And the wiki page
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/v9#from_phillw.net
>
> needs updating ... with basic facts as well as making a sub-page for
> version 10 and appropriate links.
>
> I updated the installer, so that you can get it rather easily:
>
> -----
> Download the shell-script file 'mkusb-installer' directly with
>
> wget http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/mkusb/mkusb-installer
>
> and run
>
> bash mkusb-installer
> [sudo] password:
> Install via ppa or wget, uninstall or quit? (p/w/u/Q) w
>
> - Enter your password (installed systems typically require
>   password, but not live systems)
>
> - Enter w (for wget) and the shell-script will download, check
>   and install mkusb plus some small iso files for testing.
>
> - Repeat the command bash mkusb-installer if some file was
>   not downloaded correctly.
> -----
>
> I would be happy if you can try it and give me some feedback :-)
Not sure if I can yet... but I will try too soon!!
> Finally a "developer's tidbit": I found that the zenity --forms window
> does not open centered like the other windows, but jumps to a corner or
> some space with 'free' background. So I use wmctrl to center it. (I use
> zenity --forms to enter the percentage of the free space to use for
> persistence. The rest of the free space is used for the first FAT32
> partition and can be used for transfer of files to Windows.)
>
> Best regards
> Nio

-Israel
ToriOS Team