Re: Nio's observations (was Re: [Torios] G-Drive link and zsync)

Hi Israel,

Once again I test in my Toshiba with today's iso file

c5d1d2020ca23b6f4143361d79717f6c  ToriOS-daily.iso

Den 2015-09-16 kl. 20:50, skrev Israel:
> Hi Nio
> (inlines and removal of things that work)
> On 09/16/2015 11:08 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> Hi Israel,
>>
>> Testing again, with today's iso file
>>
>> 2d76cb6637168f11c1f7d0da5bb2039a  ToriOS-daily.iso
>>
>> and I will write comments inline in the report from the previous iso file.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Ni0
>>

>> Den 2015-09-12 kl. 14:05, skrev Nio Wiklund:
>>> Hi Israel,
>>>
>>> I tested the current ToriOS-daily.iso in my Toshiba with Intel i5 and 4
>>> GB RAM 'as usual'.
>>>
>>> A. Live system
>>>
>>> - nm-applet shows and error (white x on red circle), but wired network
>>> started automatically.
>> The same problem: nm-applet shows and error (white x on red circle)
> This is odd, I will check into why this is now happening, I am not
> entirely sure why, but I might be able to find the solution soon.

It still looks the same: nm-applet shows and error (white x on red
circle), but wired network started automatically.

>> grub-install (the package grub-pc) is not installed

grub-install is there now :-)

ToriOS is the first 'full-size distro which is supposed to be
installed', where I have not found grub-pc. I understand why: because it
is not used. You chroot and use the grub-install from the tarball :-)
The list of dependencies would be very long, if I would add all the
tools used, that are part of normal full-size linux distros. There is
also another reason to include grub-pc with grub-install: It can be used
to repair an installed system from the live system, for example after
installing Windows, which overwrites the bootloader.

If you have problems to keep the iso file within CD size, you can skip
it and let mkusb ask for installing. mkusb can still create live-only
pendrives (grub-install is only used to create persistent live systems).
If there is an internet connection, it can be installed, otherwise the
user will not be able to create persistent live systems.

*****
I could make a check, so that persistence cannot be selected without
grub-install. Do you think this is a good idea, or will there be space
enough for grub-pc within CD size?
*****

It is different with wmctrl - mkusb can do everything without it, it is
just not quite as nice-looking (so you need *not* add it into the live
session).

> Oh, right I forgot to add in the dependencies
>>> - mkusb wants wmctrl in order to install 'persistent live'. It can find
>>> it and prompt for installing, but maybe it should be included in ToriOS
>>> live.
>> I think this worked in the previous version, but now I cannot install
>> with apt-get.
>>
>> 'No file name for e2fslibs', and it does not help with
>>
>> apt-get -f install  # which is recommended
>
> This is a step back... I am not entirely sure why, but I did slightly
> modify the build scripts, so I will check it out.

apt-get is able to install again :-)

But the nano fix is lost. I have to remove and install it to make it work.

And by the way, the colour prompt in the terminal window is also lost.

Can you find these fixes in some old version, or were they lost in the
computer crash? In that case, do you want my help with it?

>>> - During the installation update-grub (or something similar) found
>>> Ubuntu 14.04.2 (in /dev/sda5) but not a previous installed system of
>>> ToriOS (in /dev/sda1). This is better than before, but not good. After
>>> installation update-grub found both previous systems.
>> It seems that the other operating systems were not found when
>> update-grub was run via chroot during the installation. It works now, in
>> the installed system. This is like it was in the previous version.
> Could you test running:
>  /usr/share/OBI/grub-installer ${device}
> where device is /dev/sda (or whatever device you are using... I know you
> know this, but in case someone is following the conversation)
> my thinking is that running update-grub twice might solve this issue.

Do you mean that I should do it in the live session? After the
installation has finished?

> The other improvement I see is that no one has complained about OBI.
> This means my initial effort to migrate it to become translatable has at
> least mostly worked (at least not regressing).  I did change a bit of
> actual code:
> You originally had (in two files)
> LANG=C; LC_ALL=C
> But in order to let the translations work I check them first and then
> export things to default back to english if all else fails that way OBI
> will have text by default.
> [[ -z "${LANG}" ]] && LANG=C
> [[ -z "${LC_ALL}" ]] && LC_ALL=C
> LANGUAGE=$LC_ALL:$LANG:en_US    export LANGUAGE

1. I have only tested installing at the advanced OBI level yet, I might
find bugs.

2. Some command outputs are used by the OBI in such a way, that other
locales will not be understood. This is why I use 'LANG=C; LC_ALL=C'.

It will continue to work as long as you stay in the standard language
(en-us) but things may go wrong, if you run the live session in other
languages unless you specifically set the locale for those commands and
reset it after they have been used.

> Nio, do you think the extra information dialogs are a good addition?

I am not a typical user, because I made the original version of the OBI
installer, but I think those extra information dialogs are annoying. I'd
rather watch the 'console output' without any interruptions.

Best regards again